NEW Immunization Requirements and Recommendations

The State of Nebraska is requiring all students to have two varicella (chickenpox) vaccinations or parent report of having the disease. The new law has required since the 2011-2012 school year. Please contact your child’s health care provider to find out how to meet this new requirement.





The Sarpy/Cass County Immunization clinic is available every Thursday from 4 P.M. to 7 P.M. at Alegent Health Midlands Hospital in Papillion. They require your child’s complete immunization history, and all children must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian. They can be reached at 402-593-3222 to make an appointment, and they will also accept walk-ins.


If your child had chickenpox, you may complete the parent verification form which can be obtained from the Gretna Public schools Website. If your child has not had chickenpox, documentation of the two vaccinations must be obtained from your health care provider and given to the nurse at your school. Meeting this requirement at this time will provide the protection of the vaccine immediately and provide the documentation to the school to demonstrate that your child meets the state requirement.


Download the immunization form now.


Immunization Recommendation:

Pertussis, or Whooping Cough is always present in our society.

Most cases are not reported because as adults we have a cough/cold that may last for several weeks. At times it can become a chronic cough in teens and adults. The cough can become severe enough that vomiting occurs. Pertussis is especially dangerous and at times deadly for infants. This germ is easily spread to infants from adult and teens. The Sarpy/Cass County Health Department recommends that all teens and adults (except those who are currently pregnant) get a Tdap booster. (The Tdap is required for entry into 7th grade) Many people have had a Td--but that does not include the Pertussis. If so, consider asking for a Tdap booster. Some may have had a Tdap, but if it has been 2-5 years since your booster, you may need another vaccination. Contact your health care porvider to see if you are up to date on your immunizations. If you have any questions please feel free to contact Pam or Shelley at the High School.